- There surely were many bystanders that day among the crowd that cried, 'Crucify him, crucify him' and also at the foot of the cross while Jesus died. To them it did not matter who this Jesus was and what He had done. It did not matter to them whether He was crucified or released, whether He was the Son of God or just another man. They did not bother to know as to why he was being crucified. They just had other priorities and many other things to do, and this Jesus, seemingly, would in no way affect their personal lives.
Are you like the bystanders that just stood by and didn't care for the truth and did not want to have an opinion? You have so many other priorities and so much to do in life, that Jesus Christ and His relevance to your life is not a question you have time to consider. Irrespective of whether you are for Him or against Him, you probably feel that this Jesus is in no way going to affect your personal life. You could not be further from the truth!
- Pontius Pilate's wife told Pontius Pilate, 'Have nothing to do with that just man, for I have suffered many things today in a dream because of Him'. She considered Him a just man and nothing more, but in any case, did not want anything to do with Him, because she suffered many things in a dream because of Him.
Is that what you would do with Jesus Christ? Do you see Him as only a just man, only a righteous man, only a great teacher, only a revolutionary, only a prophet, or just another god, while he claimed to be the Son of God and the Savior of the world, who came from heaven with a message from God the Father? Or, just because you suffer as a result of your belief in Jesus, have you decided that you will have nothing more to do with Him?
- Pontius Pilate washed his hands off not wanting to take any responsibility in the matter. His decision mattered, but he chose to be silent and just please the crowd.
Will you, similarly, just wash your hands off from Jesus, wanting to please people, pretending that there would be no consequence if you The centurion said
'Truly, this was the
Son Of God'just sat on the fence, without believing in Him, following Him and without committing your life to Him? In order to preserve your reputation or position do you just keep silent about Jesus Christ and try to play safe by not getting serious in your relationship with Jesus? Do you have the attitude of, 'let others do what they want with Jesus, I'm just going to stay away and get on with my life'?
- The religious leaders and many people around wanted Him crucified as they felt that Jesus' life, miracles and teachings threatened their religious system and establishment. Jesus teachings were hard for them to digest so they thought to do away with Him, and then their conscience would prick no more.
Is this what you would like to do to Jesus? Just because believing in Jesus, the way the Bible says, challenges your religious beliefs and your belief system, do you reject Him, without even seriously and sincerely searching for the truth about Him? Just because His teachings demand that you turn away from your sins, wrongdoing, worldly ways and your compromising lifestyle, do you try and maintain a safe distance from Him, or worse still, do you turn away from Him?
- The soldiers mocked Him saying, 'Hail King of the Jews'! They thought Jesus was a mad-man or a con-man fooling all the people around by calling Himself the King of the Jews. They did not understand who He really was and did not care to understand.
Will you just mock Jesus and laugh at Him as many others in the world, thinking and believing that Jesus did not really mean all that He said, and failing to understand who He really is?
- A criminal called Barabbas was set free and Jesus took His place. Barabbas got his freedom because of Jesus but did not thank Jesus, believe in Jesus or turn his life over to Jesus. He was glad he was a free man and cared for nothing more.
- The soldiers at the foot of the cross parted His garments, casting lots. They got some garments and they cared for nothing more.
- The thief on the cross at the Jesus' left side wanted Jesus to help him get off the cross and wanted nothing else.
Are you someone who is just bothered about what you can get from Jesus – blessings, freedom and answers to prayer – but hardly care to believe in Jesus the way He claimed Himself to be or follow Him with fervor?
- The Centurion and they that were with him, watched Jesus as He was hanging on the Cross, saw the earthquake and everything else that happened at that time, feared greatly and said, 'Truly, this was the Son Of God'.
While Jesus was hanging on the cross, rejected and despised by men, God from heaven attested and acknowledged that He indeed was His Son, by showing signs and wonders in heaven and Earth at that time; and the Centurion and the people with him understood it and they acknowledged the truth about Jesus and confessed the He indeed was the Son of God.
- The thief on the cross, at Jesus' right side, understood that Jesus was an innocent man and the Savior, acknowledged openly that he himself was not innocent and told Jesus, 'Remember me when you come into your Kingdom'. And Jesus responded by saying, 'Today, you will be with me in paradise'.
The thief understood that Jesus was not just an innocent man but also the person who could lead him into the Kingdom of God, into heaven. And Jesus acknowledged his belief by assuring him that he would in fact, that very same day, be in heaven, with Him.
WHY BELIEVE JESUS AND FOLOW HIM?
Jesus said He is the Son of God and the Savior of the world. He said that whoever believes in Him will not perish but will have eternal life. He said, 'I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father(God) except through me'.
He is not just one more person who lived on the earth. No one else loved the way He loved; no one else ever said what He said; no one else ever did all the miracles, signs and wonders that He did; no one else ever rose again from the dead, by His own power, after three days as He did. He proved His claims about himself with mighty signs, wonders, miracles and by rising from the dead again. There is no one else like Him.
Receive Jesus into
believe in Him and
be blessed forever.He died on the cross to take away your sin. He shed His precious blood that by confessing your sin and believing in Him your sins may be washed away by His blood. He gave up His life willingly that you may have a relationship with the Father through Him. He rose again from the dead that you may have newness in your life and the hope of rising again after your breath ceases. He is your Savior who saves you from sin and its consequence, from guilt, from condemnation and from an eternal hell. He is your way to a blessed life on earth and eternal life in heaven with God.
DO YOU ALREADY BELIEVE IN JESUS?
- Simon of Cyrene, walked alongside Jesus and helped Him carry the cross; and then we do not know what He did about Jesus!
Have you walked alongside Jesus for a time? Do you know where you stand in your relationship with Him now? The answer matters.
- The rich man Joseph of Arimathea, the women who followed Jesus to the cross, including Mary the mother of Jesus and Mary Magdalene, all continued to follow Jesus even after His death and therefore saw His glory in the resurrection.
If you have already believed in Jesus then you need to make sure that with the help of the Holy Spirit you hold on to your faith as the women and the other disciples did. You need to continue walking with Him without ever giving up.
WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH JESUS NOW?
This question will follow you to the Day of Judgment; the answer to this question will either acquit you or condemn you. The answer to this question will determine how your life will proceed on this earth and what will happen to you in eternity.
Will you just be a bystander?
Will you have nothing to do with Him?
Will you wash your hands off Him thinking that He is just one more God, one more person, one more teacher or one more prophet among many others?
Will you mock Him and ignore Him?
Will you come to Him just for blessings and a better life?
Will you reject him in order to hold on to your pet beliefs and to stick on to your worldly life style?
Will you believe Him and receive Him into your heart and life because you understand who He really is, and follow Him with all your heart to the end?
Don't reject Him even if the rest of the world does. Don't follow Him just for the sake of blessings or for a good life. Don't mock Him, ignore Him, wash your hands off Him. If you ignore Him or reject Him by not believing in who He is and in what He said, then your eternal life is at stake. What you do with Jesus matters on the Day of Judgment when you face God.
Like the centurion and those with Him, you need to believe and say, 'Jesus, you are the Son of God'. Like the thief on the cross you need to look to Him with faith and ask Him to lead you to heaven, then He will change your life forever and give you the assurance in your heart, that you will in fact be blessed through Him on the earth and be with Him in heaven the very same day that you pass away from this life.
What you do with Jesus matters eternally and that is why it is the most important question in your life! Receive Jesus into your heart, believe in Him and be blessed forever.
- People's responses taken from Mathew 27 and Luke 23 of the Bible.
- Some references for what Jesus said about himself: Mathew 1:21, Mathew 16:16,17,John 8:58, John 3:16, John 14:6